Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Jungle Island, on Watson Island adjacent to the Port of Miami, has been a part of Miami for over 75 years and showcases a stunning variety of animals for visitors of all ages to enjoy. It is one of the premier parks in the country, if not the world, especially noteworthy for its Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM), designed to reduce pesticide risk to humans and the environment.
As a result, visitors to the park can enjoy the park's many animals, birds, plants, and attractions.
Animals and Plants
- Birds: Jungle Island boasts an array of birds sure to enthrall: cockatoos, penguins, owls, the iconic flamingo, macaws, condors, and more.
- Mammals: See leopards, llamas, red kangaroos, warthogs and two special animals: a golden tabby tiger (one of the rarest of tigers in that is has none of the black coloration like on Bengal tigers) and a liger (the offspring of a male lion and female tiger). The liger at Jungle Island is recognized as the largest cat in the world.
- Primates: The colorful array of primates is a favorite among visitors and include squirrel monkeys, orangutans, lemurs, baboons, gibbons, and more.
- Reptiles: What’s a visit to a Florida animal park without alligators? See Jungle Island’s albino alligator, American alligators, Burmese python, and other reptiles.
- Fish: Observe and learn about the channel catfish, Florida gar, koi, and more in Jungle Island’s aquatic settings.
- Plants: Of course, there would be no jungle without a variety of vibrant plants, trees, and flowers to dot the lush landscape: banana trees, bo trees, banyan trees, coconut palms, red bougainvillea, crotons, cordias, and more.
- Winged Wonders: features beautiful animals that range from playful to dangerous. Daily shows that enthrall visitors of all ages.
- Wild Encounter: an uncaged interaction between the park’s animal experts and the big cats, including the tigers, panthers, leopards, and ligers. There’s even a special show featuring the humans, the cats, and the primates.
- Dr. Wasabi’s Wild Adventures: audiences meet the wild animals Dr. Wasabi has encountered in his treks throughout the world, including alpacas, snapping turtles, baboons, and penguins.
See park web site http://www.jungleisland.com/index.cfm for days and times.
- Posing Area: pose for photos with Jungle Island’s renowned colorful parrots.
- Manu Encounter: an interactive exhibit created after the clay cliffs in Peru, observe the habits and habitats of monkeys, macaws, parrots, and more.
- Primate Chat: watch primates such as orangutans, gibbons, and other primates swing, jump, run, and show off their agility to the delight of entranced audiences.
- Kangaroo Konnection: visitors of all ages greet, play, and hang out with the park’s cute kangaroos.
- Petting Barn: feed and pet the goats, cows, donkeys, and llamas and pose for fun pictures with them all.
Education Edventures and Shopping
Jungle Island is an entertaining place for learning about animals, their habitats, and the environment. Camps, field trips, slumber parties, scout programs, homeschool programs, and more are on offer to help the youngest of visitors enjoy their educational time at Jungle Island.
The Island Treasures Gift Shop offers books, games, stuffed animals, apparel, and more to take home and commemorate your visit.
Jungle Island is a fascinating and unique place to see animals, plants, and jungle habitats to enjoy and learn about. Visit http://www.jungleisland.com for information concerning special events, park times, and more.
All these and more awaits your kids in Miami. As a family-friendly city, Miami Beach offers a wide range of theme parks & tourist spots perfect for family weekend getaways. Interested with Luxury Miami Real Estate & Condo? Allan Kleer and his team are known for representing high profile celebrity clients, as well as high net worth international clientele. TheKleerTeam represents many first time luxury condo and homebuyers. Schedule an appointment for a personal interview.