There are so MANY reasons why people want to live in Miami Beach: The weather, the lifestyle, the Art Deco architectural diversity and beauty, the many new ultra luxury waterfront homes and condos, and the pure "fun" factor are just a few of the top reasons that come to mind.
Also, Miami Beach, and most especially South Beach's South of Fifth neighborhood, has become one of the most sought-after places to live in the world. Recognizing this, the city of Miami Beach planned a multi-million dollar renovation of South Pointe Park, which was completed in 2009. This extensive renovation included a completely new landscape with a variety of vegetation, Palm Trees, walkways, a multicolored nighttime light display along Government Cut, underground water fountains, the creation of elevated sand dunes, party facilities, and even a children's playground! Additionally, a new Pier was constructed where you can walk out several hundred feet to truly experience the beauty of the Atlantic Ocean. South Pointe Park is surrounded by the several ultra-luxury condominium buildings - The Continuum South Beach, Apogee, The Portofino Tower, The South Pointe Tower, and The Murano at Portofino. These residents can often be spotted taking advantage of the Park's restored beauty and vibrant atmosphere.
Top Ten Things to do in South Miami Beach:
1. Jog or walk through the many trails and paths- especially at night to see the multicolored light show along the Intracoastal Waterway.
2. Bring a Yoga Mat and attend one of the free morning and evening yoga classes sponsored by various local fitness centers ON THE BEACH!
3. Watch incredible Ocean and Intracoastal waterfront sunrises and sunsets.
4. SOCIALIZE with the many locals who bring their dogs to the many local parks for morning and evening walks. A little known fact is that many locals organize regular get-togethers for other dog owners.
5. Watch the amazing sight of cruise ships leaving the Port of Miami around 5pm Friday - Sunday (especially in High Season).
6. Take a day trip to the Beach, most beachfront parks have easy beach access paths.
7. Bring your kids, nieces, nephews, and any other young adult to play in the water fountains inside most South Beach parks.
8. Go to the many waterfront restaurtants with views of Fisher Island, the Ocean, and the downtown Miami skyline
9. Enjoy the incredible high fashion shopping experience in open air Pedestrian Malls such as Lincoln Road Mall, Bal Harbour Shops, and along Collins Avenue.
10. Celebrity watch! Recently, I spotted Gloria Estefan, Rosie O'Donnell and their families enjoying a spectacular year-round weather!
More information on specific South Beach neighborhood and Miami Beach lifestyle Top Ten can be found at the below linked previous blog posts:
Miami Beach's South Pointe Park
Why I Love South Pointe / The Continuum
Portofino Tower / South of Fifth Neighborhood Top Ten
South of Fifth Neighborhood / Icon South Beach Top Ten